Favorite Fandom Activities

• 28 Replies
Re: Favorite Fandom Activities
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »
No, it means that the story you've spent years working out in your head is garbage and you don't know it yet. Your magnum opus, which will be remembered for centuries and studied by scholars as one of the highest achievements of human language, will be something you always hated and dashed off while recovering from knee surgery for some quick bank.

Once you accept that, you will know true freedom as a writer.

Loopy said it just right!  I wrote One Night in Changbai as a proof of concept of Maitara, and I consider it one of my best and longest fics.  Now I'm working on my real pride and joy, for another fandom, called A Tale of Two Tarkirs, and it is torturous.  Because I want it more, because I care.  As they say, desire breeds suffering.

Edit:  Well, my favorite fandom activities are crack shipping, headcanon-ing, and a little fic-ing.  Also viewing and collecting fan art.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:50:40 PM by shorewall »

Kyatto

• It's lit
    • See my website bros
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 01:59:16 AM »
I like being super embarrassed by Supernatural fandom. Seriously, the fandom is really embarrassing. And cringe.  I didn't know people shipped real life people and took it seriously until I got into Supernatural. It's terrible. So cringey.

Not as cringe as Sherlock and Doctor Who but up there.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 01:34:46 AM »
I blog about the video games I play. Mostly old classics or indie cult hits. Currently playing Valiant Hearts because I feel I should become more depressed than usual.

Last October I became very sick mentally. Since then I haven't written a word. It's almost a year now and I'm just starting to draw again and have been having fun with my Star Wars mindfulness colouring in book.
Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.org
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:48 AM »
Last October I became very sick mentally. Since then I haven't written a word. It's almost a year now and I'm just starting to draw again and have been having fun with my Star Wars mindfulness colouring in book.

Wow...  Sorry to read about your sickness.  I've been battling my depression and anxiety since my sister passed last November and it's made it impossible for me to write or produce any art.  But I can always cheer myself up be reading Prepare For Bearmageddon.  I also still love talking about ATLA with others. :)

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 02:44:04 AM »
I've been battling my depression and anxiety since my sister passed last November and it's made it impossible for me to write or produce any art.  But I can always cheer myself up be reading Prepare For Bearmageddon.  I also still love talking about ATLA with others. :)
If you ever need a random stranger to talk to, I'm your woman  ;D

I haven't watched any ATLA in ages. Not since I threw out my Korra dvds...

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.org
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 08:15:43 AM »
I've been battling my depression and anxiety since my sister passed last November and it's made it impossible for me to write or produce any art.  But I can always cheer myself up be reading Prepare For Bearmageddon.  I also still love talking about ATLA with others. :)
If you ever need a random stranger to talk to, I'm your woman  ;D

Yep, I've got your back. :)

I haven't watched any ATLA in ages. Not since I threw out my Korra dvds...

You dislike Korra so much you won't watch ATLA? :'(

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
Just haven't thought about it, I guess. I should rewatch it, though.

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »
We're having an ongoing retrospective discussion over on the ATLA board here, and we're up to episode 2, if you'd like to watch along and comment.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
Anyway, I've been thinking if perhaps the fandom can put together some activity that would unite us all together. The Gravity Falls fandom just got done having a real-life treasure hunt not too long ago that led  to fans searching for clues all over the world. I really admire the creator of that show for being able to put together such a puzzle. So perhaps we can do something similar? It doesn't need to be as complex, but it's just an idea.

I like this idea, though I'm sure how it should be done (or even if there's enough life left in the ATLA fandom right now).

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.org
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
Anyway, I've been thinking if perhaps the fandom can put together some activity that would unite us all together. The Gravity Falls fandom just got done having a real-life treasure hunt not too long ago that led  to fans searching for clues all over the world. I really admire the creator of that show for being able to put together such a puzzle. So perhaps we can do something similar? It doesn't need to be as complex, but it's just an idea.

I like this idea, though I'm sure how it should be done (or even if there's enough life left in the ATLA fandom right now).

I think there is life left in the fandom.  But the highest concentration of fandom is on Tumblr and I wouldn't want to organize anything on Tumblr. :/

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
Well, my favorite activities are discussing the fandom whenever I feel like I can contribute something. I dabbled into fanfic writting and fan art making before and people's reaction was generally positive but I could never keep at it for too long. I would like to try my hand at roleplaying though. One of my best friends is into Warhammer 40k and I love reading about the lore of it but I'm not sure if I could play it right, I would enjoy a roleplay where I could goof off at times.

As for Avatar I always feel capable and ready to talk about the fire family since Iroh, Zuko and Azula are my favorite Avatar characters.

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.org
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 06:00:48 AM »
Right now, my big fandom thing is posting Star Trek memes and Rickyisms on Facebook.  Literally, the only good thing about Facebook are Star Trek, Deadpool, and Trailer Park Boys pages.

FartsOfNeil

• The Avatardist
  • Savage... Brutal... Bendt.
    • Art of Neil
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
Fixing Korra.

Haven't done that in a while.  Should prolly get back on it...

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
I just love reading them, I'm not very good at writing them.