Thoughts on an Avatar Boardgame

• 3 Replies

Mauziz

• Sneak Attack!
Thoughts on an Avatar Boardgame
« on: July 10, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »
Hi all I'm new here, but I wanted to start a conversation about tabletop games set in the Avatar universe. I recently stumbled upon this: http://nerdist.com/a-legend-of-korra-tabletop-game-will-be-your-latest-deck-building-adventure/. The TL;DR summary is that IDW Games is publishing a 2 player deck building game (like Dominion where building your deck happens during the game) based around two pro-bending teams duking it out.

While I'm personally excited about the idea of an Avatar-related boardgame, the theme is a huge letdown for me. IMHO pro-bending was the worst part of Korra season 1. It includes neither of the two major aspects that I perceive as being the main draws of the two shows: compelling narrative and interesting characters.

So I suppose I'm curious what you all think about the theme of this game, and what you think would make the most interesting Avatar-related boardgame. A wargame where players assume the role of the four nations? 1 vs many game where players are forced to fight against the Fire Nation (or other antagonist of choice)? Cooperative game where players are individual characters and they have to band together to overcome scenarios based on the events in the show/comic? Or does Avatar simply not lend itself to boardgames?

Any thoughts are more than welcome!

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Re: Thoughts on an Avatar Boardgame
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »
I'm not very into the boardgame scene, but only because of budget and player concerns. I agree that the Probending theme is disappointing, as I didn't like it in the cartoon itself either, and really I think the possibilities are pretty limitless. The Avatar is large and full of so many elements that pretty much anything could be done. Some kind of political card game could be done based on Ba Sing Se. Some kind of battle game could be made out of Spirits. Some kind of battle game could be made based on Bending. Puzzles could be made out of building temples with components to properly channel Avatar energies. The four nations could be put into a war game, but could also be made into a non-violent land acquisition and resource management game.

What I'd kill for, though, is an easy-to-play tabletop RPG that uses a system based on Kung Fu. Characters could have Bending kung fu, weapon-based kung fu, cooking kung fu, socializing kung fu, and so on. And Spirit stuff would be the basis of character stats. It would be glorious. :D

bassemand

• Sad Avatar Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »
The boardgame sounds ok to me, but like was suggested i would rather have a well made RPG of somekind pen and paper or videogame. Btw do you know if anyone gets royalties from the board game sales?

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
I'm not sure how the royalties system works with these Nickelodeon franchises. I do know that the Mike and the Bryan have partial ownership of the brand, so they presumably get/got some kind of payout for this, but the rest is a mystery.